The Merriam-Webster dictionary describes love as the unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another as 1) the fatherly concern of God for humankind, 2) the brotherly concern for others, or a person’s adoration for God. Most times we say we love God but we don’t love him the way we confess we do. We confess with our mouths that we love and adore God but our actions say otherwise. It clearly states in the bible if we love him we would keep his commandments (John 14:15). His commandments are :
- You must not have any other god but me.
- You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the sea. You must not bow down to them or worship them, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God who will not tolerate your affection for any other gods. I lay the sins of the parents upon their children; the entire family is affected—even children in the third and fourth generations of those who reject me. But I lavish unfailing love for a thousand generations on those who love me and obey my commands.
- You must not misuse the name of the Lord your God.The Lord will not let you go unpunished if you misuse his name.
- Remember to observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. You have six days each week for your ordinary work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath day of rest dedicated to the Lord your God. On that day no one in your household may do any work. This includes you, your sons and daughters, your male and female servants, your livestock, and any foreigners living among you. For in six days the Lord made the heavens, the earth, the sea, and everything in them; but on the seventh day he rested. That is why the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and set it apart as holy.
- Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
- You must not murder.
- You must not commit adultery.
- You must not steal.
- You must not testify falsely against your neighbor.
- You must not covet your neighbor’s house. You must not covet your neighbor’s wife, male or female servant, ox or donkey, or anything else that belongs to your neighbor.
You can find the commandments in Exodus 20:1-17 and Deuteronomy 5:6-21. As christians we often times say we are obeying his commandments because we follow 7 out of the 10, 5 out of the 10, or 3 out of the 10 (trust me I’ve been there, too). That’s not enough. If we are going to love God and walk in the greatness thereof, we have to love him with our WHOLE HEART. There can’t be room in your heart for another god i.e. money/shoes/celebrities, jealousy, bitterness, unforgiveness or any other thing that is not God-like.
When you find yourself in love with another human being what two things do you do most with them? If your answer was spend time with them and money on them then you’re correct. How come when it comes to our relationship with God we lack in those two areas? Does the bible not say to tithe (Malachi 3:8, 3:10)? You tithe out of relationship not out of obligation. If Christ is the proclaimed lover of your soul & the Lord of your life why not pay to him what’s due?! The first ten percent of paycheck is the Lord’s because truth be told if you don’t give him the ten percent, he’s going to take the whole hundred. (I will talk about tithing in a future post.) If you say you love God how come you don’t spend time with him? You make time for your school work, your job, your extracurriculars, your friends, and even your boo but no time for him. How do you think that makes God feel, the saver of your soul, the meeter of your needs, the peace in the midst of a storm? He does all these things for us throughout the day and we don’t even take time to acknowledge him. Everyday, whether day or night, we should make it our obligation to spend some time with our daddy. Even if it’s just 15 minutes of worship, reading a passage of scripture, or praying. No, you don’t have to go to God with elaborate words or long winded conversations, go to him and pour out exactly what’s on your heart as you would a friend. He is your friend, he understands the words spoken silently or aloud. Why wouldn’t you want to get to know him the way he knows you? Get to know him as Yahweh, Abba, and all the characteristics he is personally known as. The more you get to know him, the more he begins to reveal to you.